Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Articulation Carnival {app review}

I have a huge caseload this year, and most of it is articulation.  I am always looking for an easy way for my students to have fun, get a lot of productions, and have their goals addressed.  Over the last few weeks, I have been using Articulation Carnival from Virtual Speech Center to help with this!



Here's a little about the app (from Virtual Speech Center):
The Articulation Carnival app is a comprehensive and flexible articulation program to practice pronunciation of ALL English phonemes at the word, phrase, and sentence levels. The app includes thousands of photos and prerecorded audio stimuli. It allows speech therapists to edit targeted words and to add their own photos and audio recordings.
To get started, put in your students' names.  Once you select the student(s) you want to work with, you can select the sound for each of them:


Once you select all of the sounds for the student(s), there is one main practice page.  You can use the options on the left hand side to switch students, levels, and sounds.  The first will be students, the second will be sounds, the third will be position, and the fourth will be word/phrase/sentence.  Use the buttons on the right to score each production.



Once the child completes their work, there are four games offered as a prize/ reinforcement. They are based on traditional carnival games!



Ducks:

Darts:

Basketball:

Hammer:

Once you are done, you can view the student's progress:


If you need to adjust the settings, there is a huge list of options:



One thing I love about this app is that the "About" video is embedded, so if you have questions at any time, it is available for quick referral.


I really enjoyed using this app with my students.  They had so much fun doing some drill and then playing.  Everyone loves a carnival, and this definitely motivated my students!  I really appreciate that data is recorded for you and that a reported is generated at the end.  This makes it very easy to run a smooth session.

The only thing I would like to see is a definitive stop and start time for the games.  The basketball game has a timer, but the other ones don't.  I would also like to see it automatically go back to the drill/practice page instead of me having to click back to it.

Overall, it is an awesome app that my students really enjoyed!   If you're interested, you can download the lite version and purchase your own sounds here or pay $36.99 for the full version here.
Have you used this app?  What do you think?

Note: A code for this app was provided for my review.  No other compensation was received.  All opinions expressed are mine. 

post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover