Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Let's Talk About Books: Week 4 {linky party}

It's Tuesday, and that means another book to talk about!  Thank you to Deanna for hosting a great and fun linky party.  I love reading about all of these books!   Head on over to her blog to see everyone who linked up.

Today, I want to talk about one of my favorite summer books--Fidgety Fish.


I was first introduced to this book in graduate school.  Our very first summer, we used this book to kick off our summer series.  It is the perfect book for summer, ocean, or fish theme weeks.  We used it with preschoolers, but elementary students would love it as well.

Here's the description from Amazon:
"Tiddler was always fidgeting. He wriggled and squiggled, until his mum told him to go out and swim till he was tired. So Tiddler swam out into the deep sea, where he met limpets and jellyfish, he went further till he reached a big, dark cave."
It is great for teaching:
-salient words
-environmental sounds (i.e. swish)
-ocean animals and life
-/f/ sound
-basic concepts
...and many many more.

We made fun bulletin boards with Fidgety Fish in the middle and bubbles, seaweed, and starfish all around.  It was a lot of work to make them so detailed, but we made it fun, and the students loved it!

When I first looked at these books two summers ago, they were close to $100 a piece.  Now, I found them for $0.70 plus shipping (on Amazon).  As soon as I saw that the price had dropped so significantly, I snatched it up and all of the other books in this series (Fidgety Fish and Friends, Tickly Octopus, Clumsy Crab, and Smiley Shark).



Have you read this book?  How have you used it in your speech room? 

post signature

1 comment :

  1. I love this book. Thanks for reminding me about it! I love reading it during our fish study/theme!
    Pocket of Preschool

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover